As many as 67 girl students from the Kasturba Gandhi Residential School in the Chevella mandal of Ranga Reddy district suddenly fell ill due to food poisoning on Sunday morning.
The students began to vomit continuously and complained of stomach pain after a meal. The teachers and other staff at the school immediately rushed the girls to a local government hospital. However, the condition of 20 girls worsened and prompted the authorities to take them to the Nilofer Hospital in Hyderabad.
The investigation by Chevella CI Guravaiah Goud revealed that the students had all had fruit salad at the hostel, and that that may have been the reason behind the incident.