HC Directs AP To Stop Cockfights In West Godavari
The High Court chided the state government saying it had failed miserably in stopping cock fights in West Godavari last year despite the former's directions.
Hyderabad | 4th January 2018
The Hyderabad High Court has directed the Andhra Pradesh government to initiate steps to see that there would be no cock fights in the state during the Sankranti festival.
Admitting a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) petition seeking orders to stop cock fights and related anti-social activities in West Godavari district, the High Court chided the state government saying it had failed miserably in stopping cock fights in West Godavari though it (the court) had directed the state government to prohibit them last year.
The court also said that the cock fight culture was spreading to other parts of the state, and that punters were attending them through special buses.
During the proceedings, the state government submitted a report on the steps taken last year to stop cock fights following the direction of High Court. The government said it had served notices to 43 Tahsildars and 49 police officials asking them to give explanations on the violations that took place last year. The High Court then directed the government to report to the court on the action initiated after the show-cause notices were served to the officials, before January 22.
The Chief Secretary, DGP and Additional Advocate General assured the court that they would initiate steps to see that cock fights did not take place in West Godavari district this year. After the Advocate General's statement, the court directed the state government to initiate stern action and banish cock fights forever.
filed in: Courts, Legal, Hyderabad High Court, High Court, Andhra Pradesh, Sankranti, West Godavari, Cock Fights, Crime, Andhra Pradesh Crime