In an almost unbelievable incident, a severely burnt man managed to drive about 500 metres on his motorcycle on Tuesday night and is presently battling for life in hospital.
According to Magalhat inspector Chittibabu, M A Waheed (35) was filling 5 KG gas stoves with LPG from a domestic cooking cylinder when a spark, presumably from a short-circuit, engulfed him in flames.
Chittibabu revealed that Waheed was a gas stove repairer and used to fill the stoves with gas from LPG cylinders meant for domestic supply. He had filled 3 such stoves at the residence of his friend Pyarelal when the incident occurred.
Pyarelal had gone out for some errand when the short circuit ignited the gas residue in the room and burnt Waheed. The flames also led to the gas stoves exploding.
Amazingly, Waheed, in spite of being severely burnt, managed to get on his motorcycle, drive almost 500 metres close to his residence, and collapsed. Some residents claim that Waheed was still engulfed in flames while he was riding the motorcycle, but this is being taken with a pinch of salt by the police.
The victim was rushed to Osmania General Hospital where he is being treated.
Doctors at the hospital are amazed at the fact that despite suffering severe burns, Waheed is able to sit up.
A case has been registered and further investigations are on.