Fire broke out in a flat in an apartment complex at Hyderguda in the early hours of Wednesday.
The fire started in the ground floor of Pioneer Chambers opposite Apollo Hospital and quickly spread to the first floor of the building, and made the residents run helter skelter to save their lives.
On receiving the information, four Fire Services tenders rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire before it could get worse.
Some 30 inmates from the third, fourth and fifth floors were first sent to the terrace as the fire services personnel fought the fire. As the internal staircase was filled with smoke hampering rescue operations, the fire fighters then used a Bronto skylift and brought down the inmates one by one.
It is learnt that a short-circuit in the ground floor caused the inferno, and that two fertilizers shops were totally destroyed. However, no casualties were reported.