Fire broke out on the first floor of the (three-floor) GHMC office at Khairatabad this morning, and the accounts/audit section was reduced to ashes. However, no causalities were reported.
Two fire tenders rushed to the spot and plunged into action to put out the fire. However, the fire had reportedly been raging for a full hour before they even got to work, and they took an hour from when they started to douse the fire, resulting in serious damage to the floor.
The reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained, but preliminary suspicion is that it had to do with a short circuit. However, the sabotage angle is not being ruled out since many important files are kept in the section.
GHMC Mayor Bonthu Rammohan instructed the Zonal Commissioner to file a case on the mishap.